Water and electricity do not mix

May 31, 2018 5:18 pm Published by

When it comes to electrical safety, the bathroom is possibly the most hazardous room in your house. Why? Water conducts electricity.

It is also important to remember that if you have a water leak in your house it can cause structural damage, but it may come into contact with your electrical supply.

The consequences of an electric shock are far more severe in a bathroom or shower room as wet skin reduces the body’s resistance.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy a bath with rubber ducky in complete safety!!

Sockets

Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms or shower rooms (apart from shaver-supply units) unless they can be fitted at least three metres from the bath or shower. Electrical shaver points must be a safe distance from the bath or shower to avoid splashes.

Lights

Enclosed ceiling lights are the safest option. All light fittings, that are not enclosed, should be out of reach of someone using, or still wet from using, the bath or shower.

Everyday light switches are a danger because of damp and wet hands. A ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch may not look aesthetically pleasing but it is the safest option.

Heaters and towel rails

If you do have an electric heater, it must be fixed at a safe distance from the bath or shower.

Electric and gas water heaters in a bathroom must be fixed and permanently wired, unless they are powered by a socket fitted three metres from a bath or shower.

A pull-cord or switch outside the bathroom is the ideal way to control electric heaters.

Showers

An electric shower must be supplied on its own circuit directly from your fusebox.

Portable electrical appliances

Never bring mains-powered portable appliances such as hairdryers, heaters or radios into a bathroom. As we cannot seem to be parted from our smartphones these days, do not charge your phone in proximity to a source of water. A recent incident occurred where a man plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone. He died of his injuries when the charger touched the water.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Richard Jay

Comments are closed here.