9 ways to avoid electrical fires in the home

February 19, 2018 10:31 am Published by

2018 is only two months old and within the first three weeks of the year we came across these electrical hazards whilst carrying out our day to day electrical work for clients.

To Green Door Electrical, education about electrical safety is part of our company ethos. Having worked in the industry for many years we have been on the receiving end of electric shocks. It is not a pleasant experience. Along with electric shocks, there is another danger with fires caused by electricity, be that installations or products.

Here are some handy tips to ensure you do not leave yourself exposed to an electrical mishap:

  • Wiring does not last forever and can degrade. Have your electrical wiring circuits within your house walls checked to prevent electrical fires.
  • Moving home. Have you seen a copy of the electrical installation report? If there is not one, get an electrician in to check the condition of the electrics. The electrician will then supply the report. This will highlight any issues, which can be resolved before moving in, thus saving you money in the long run.
  • Check and replace old wiring. Power cord frayed, worn out or tattered? Repair or replace it to prevent an electrical fire.
  • Check the plugs on electrical appliances. Like wiring, plugs can crack or break. A broken plug is not only a shock hazard, it can spark or overheat.
  • Overloading sockets. We all use extension leads with 4 plug adaptors. You should never overload these by plugging in appliances that together will exceed the maximum current rating stated for the extension lead. This could cause the plug in the wall socket to overheat causing a fire. Check out this handy interactive app to see if you are overloading sockets.
  • Use RCD units. These units offer protection that normal circuit breakers and fuses cannot. Flow through wires is equal, faults or electrical mishaps will make the flow imbalanced, the RCD unit recognises this and switches off the electric within 0.04 seconds. So, if you accidentally cut through a cable and touch it, the RCD unit will kick in saving you from an electric shock.
  • Dodgy appliances. If an appliance blows a fuse, trips a circuit, or sparks while being used, check to see if it needs replacing.
  • Fake electrical goods. It may seem like the cheaper option, but fake electrical products have a higher chance of catching fire or giving you an electric shock. A recent study and safety test by Electrical Safety First concerning fake iPhone chargers purchased in the UK, found that 98 per cent of the chargers tested could cause a fire or deliver a lethal electric shock.
  • Register your products. The success rate of electrical product recalls is a staggeringly low at 20%. With 60 fires a week caused by faulty electrical products there are potentially millions of products out there that pose a risk of electric shock or are considered a fire hazard. If you do not register your electrical appliance who will you know if it has been recalled? It takes minutes to register at this website and once registered, any recalls will be notified directly to you.

 

 

Categorised in:

This post was written by Richard Jay

Comments are closed here.